Everyone has fallen at least once or twice. Did it happen as you or your loved one slipped or tripped upon something? Note that there is a difference between both types of accidents, and you will need the help of an attorney to know the difference, and as to why it matters. Remember that as the cause of the accidents and injuries are different, so is the legal approach towards it. This explains why the details as well as circumstances surrounding it are so vital to holding a negligent person responsible.
Slip and Fall Cases
When a person falls due to a slip, it is typically caused by a wet condition or something slippery upon the ground. The fall is the outcome of a loss of either the footing or contact with the floor. Typically, when one slips and falls, he or she tends to fall backward. This type of fall causes certain types of bodily injuries, like that of the:
- Back of head
Examples of conditions or situations that can lead to a slip and fall accident can be:
- A hard floor which was either waxed or cleaned recently
- An ice cube melted upon a hard floor
- A hard floor where a hairstyling product was spilled and then it spread across
Trip and Fall Cases
When a person trips, he or she has stepped upon something fixed or hard or has not stepped fully over it. This causes them to fall forward, and not backward, which results in slightly different injuries, such as that of the:
- Arm and hand fractures
Examples of conditions or circumstances that can lead to a trip and fall accidents can be:
- Uneven parking lot or sidewalk
- An item that is left upon a shop floor
What to Do When One Falls
No matter whether one has tripped or slipped, if it led to a fall, taking the right subsequent steps is very important. A person involved in a slip and fall or trip and fall incident has to do the following.
- If injuries are sustained, then call 911 right away
- Remain at the area until help arrives
- Take photos of everything, particularly the slippery item or surface that caused it
- Get contact details from any witnesses
- Call slip and fall injury lawyers
If the accident was caused by another person’s negligence, then one should ideally have an experienced slip fall attorney review the same to determine their ability to recover damages.